Laminate is one of the common and popular flooring materials in most houses. Many people install it in their homes because it is versatile, durable, and customisable in terms of layout and sizing. Aside from that, it is relatively easy to install and maintain, making it a go-to flooring material for many homeowners. Like any flooring, laminate has its pros and cons, which is why homeowners should be mindful of their purchase.
If you plan to install laminates on your home, here is a guide on how you should adequately buy, install, and maintain this flooring option:
When Buying Laminate Flooring
There are many factors that you should consider when buying tiles or sheets for your home. It is essential that you know the basics, as these can significantly affect your home’s look and appearance. The product you choose will also impact the performance and longevity of your flooring.
Here are three important aspects you should consider when buying laminate tiles:
- Abrasion Class (AC) rating – this rating determines the durability of laminates. For durable material, you should buy those that have an AC rating of three or above.
- Quality – to get the value of your money, you should always go for quality products. You can quickly determine if an option is of high quality because high-quality made ones are less likely to have repetitive print patterns.
- Environmental and health implications – lower-end laminates contain melamine resin and adhesive, which has formaldehyde. This compound can emit volatile organic chemical (VOC), which can trigger health risks to the occupants in your home. Aside from that, such chemicals are harmful to the environment as well. For the safety of your family and the environment, consider investing in higher-end flooring.
When Installing Laminate Flooring
As mentioned, laminates are easy to install. Although that’s the case, you still need to learn a few basic guidelines and reminders to ensure that your installation work is done with excellence and quality.
Here are a few basic tips on installing high-quality yet cheap laminate flooring:
- Use vapour barrier underlayment for lesser noises when walking, better insulation, and improved protection from water vapour.
- Remove adhesives, dirt, dust, grits, and other similar debris on subfloors to achieve an even installation.
- Allow expansion gaps as tiles crack, buckle, and warp due to temperature changes.
- Use laminate floor sealant or 100 per cent mildew-resistant silicone if you want to install laminates on wet areas, such as bathrooms, kitchen, and basement.
When Cleaning and Maintaining Laminate Flooring
Once you have installed the flooring in your home, you should perform regular maintenance to protect and preserve its beauty, durability, and life expectancy. Although they may not require high maintenance, you should still be mindful of how you treat them, as complete negligence can easily cause damages.
To help you preserve the beauty of laminate flooring, here are some cleaning and maintenance reminders:
- Use microfiber mop instead of a traditional broom when dusting to avoid scratches.
- Use a vacuum cleaner to catch dust and dirt in between the gaps.
- Do not use water or other cleaning liquids when removing stains or spills to avoid swelling. Instead, spray the infected area with laminate floor cleaner and quickly wipe off with a clean cloth.
- Buff the flooring regularly to maintain its shine.
- Do not expose flooring to UV rays or direct sunlight to avoid uneven fading and ageing.
- Quickly wipe spills from food and beverages.
- Use furniture caps to prevent scratches.
Laminate is one of the popular materials for flooring. Many homeowners prefer it for its flexibility and durability. Although it is easy to install and maintain, you should depend on the professional to take proper precautions and maintenance to preserve its beauty and life expectancy. For this reason, it is vital to make sure that you invest in high-quality products to get the value of your money and have a gorgeous flooring that will last for years.
If you are looking for cheap laminate flooring in Essex for your home, we have got your back. We sell various cheap flooring and provide samples right in front of your home through our mobile flooring showroom. Get in touch with us today to see how we can help!