In the early stages of laminate flooring, the only viable options were planks that were ‘beech’, ‘cherry’ or ‘maple’. Today, there are far more available choices when it comes to installing laminate, as well as more advantages. So much so that the idea of cheap laminate flooring being of low quality is now a thing of the past. Instead, it is now seen as a really good alternative to solid wood.
What Is It?
Laminate flooring essentially mimics wood; it is made using numerous layers pressed together, essentially a layered construction. Contrary to popular belief, it is not made of plastic; it’s made primarily from wood. There are multiple layers fused together, topped off by a clear protective layer.
The Better Choice
Laminate flooring used to be written off as something that looked far too fake, and was not aesthetically pleasing compared to a solid wood floor. However, as time has gone by with technological advances, it has improved so much that it could be mistaken for solid wood already!
There are several reasons to get laminate flooring instead of choosing solid wood:
- Natural-Looking – While close inspection will reveal whether it is real hardwood or laminate flooring, quality laminate flooring will pass off as real wood with no problems.
- Comfortable – Since one of the layers of laminate flooring is foam underlayment, it is kind of soft underfoot, certainly more than that of solid hardwood.
- Cost-Effective – Laminate makes for an extremely friendly budget; the range is wide enough to accommodate any budget imaginable. There is really good value for money no matter what you may need it for: a children’s bedroom, a den or a living room. Overall, it is priced at roughly the fraction of the cost of flooring that is solid hardwood.
- Durable – Laminate flooring can take damage from impact to a certain extent since it has moderately good resistance.
- Easy-to-Clean – There is never any waxing necessary when it comes to laminate floors. They are cleaned quite easily with a broom, damp mop and vacuum.
- Heat- and Water-Resistant – By default, laminate surfaces are highly resistant to stains and water. It can also be used and installed over radiant heating systems. Compared to solid wood, it is much better for locations that are humid.
- Easy to Install – It’s so much easier to install flooring that is laminate instead of solid wood. It’s actually one of the easiest to install in general. There is no need for glue or any type of fastener; the planks click together at the edges. It is essentially a floating floor.
- Low-Maintenance – Aside from being easy to clean, laminate flooring can withstand extreme temperature changes, scratches and scuffs. Unlike a solid wood floor, there is no chance for debris, dirt and food to get ingrained in the material.
Laminate is essentially an inexpensive way for hardwood flooring to be simulated. It does not look any less than actual solid hardwood and certainly doesn’t give off an air of cheap wood flooring. While ultimately the choice is up to you, laminate flooring will definitely be easier on your wallet and far less difficult to install.
Looking for reliable flooring in Braintree, Essex and other parts of the United Kingdom? Contact Kings Floors today! We have mobile showrooms that have a wide plethora of flooring and carpets you’ll love.